Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The sun is shing. The air is fresh and cool. Fall has arrived!

Connor and I had a fun morning. Tucker's school had a book fair this morning, and since I am so blessed now to be able to stay at home, I was able to attend the book fair with him. Last year, I was unable to go because I had a meeting at work. I did not think twice about not going because the school had sent a note home to the parents letting us know that if we could not come to the book fair, not to worry because they would have volunteers there helping the kids choose age appropriate books. I sent Speedster 20.00 to spend because I absolutely LOVE book fairs, and think that they are the cheapest way to buy books and a great fundraiser for public schools. I could not wait to get home that night and find out what he had bought with his money. Twenty dollars can go a long way at a book fair! Imagine my dismay to find out that he had spent my hard earned dough on pencils, erasers, a book about dragons that was written on a 3rd grade reading level, and two other high level reading books. Dismay is an understatement, I was furious. Who in their right mind sends a 5 year old home with an Eragon paperback book????? Obviously the 'volunteers' the school had written about never helped Tucker pick out the books, or if they did they must have thought he was a very bright 5 year old. Thankfully the school was closed or I would have picked up the phone right then and let someone have it. Lucky for them, I had calmed down a little bit the next morning when I took Tucker to school, along with his sack of books and went directly to the book fair where I returned all of them. I was late for work that morning, but I picked out the best books that book fair had to offer and we still read them today so it was well worth it.

Therefore, I learned my lesson last year, and was not going to repeat the same mistake. I took
Connor to the a gym we are members of here in town. They offer a merciful service called drop and go. You pay them $10 and can leave your child there for an hour or two. For a stay at home mom, this is a Godsend. Anyone who has ever take a cranky, sleepy, hungry toddler to Walmart will understand. A stay at home mom's idea of heaven is going to Walmart, the grocery store, or Target alone without having to constantly say: "Stay in the buggy. Don't lean over the buggy. No you can't have that. Stop poking holes in the bread. Take your hand out of the freezer door. You ate what?" Not only do you have only yourself to take care of in the store, but you might actually make it out of the store with everything on your list. I can't tell you how many times I have walked out of Walmart only to realize after I have buckled both kids in the car that I forgot the main item I went into the store for to begin with. Instead of what is on my list I have tons of junk food, odd toys that were meant to keep the little one quiet, and things that were thrown in my buggy without my knowledge. So, after I took Connor to the drop and go care, I went to the book fair with Tucker. We spent a lot of time in there, because like his mama, he LOVES books. He kept saying, "Mommy, there is so much to investigate in here, we have to keep looking." Tucker's vocabulary amazes us. He comes up with the funniest sayings and uses huge words correctly. His teacher last year commented on his word play often, telling us that she looked forward to teaching him every day because she couldn't wait to hear what he would say. Last night, we were talking about what was in his lunch, and what he didn't eat. He told his dad and I that he didn't eat the goldfish but he ate the sandwich and the brownie. Brad kept asking him why he didn't eat his goldfish and Tucker said, "Fishes like to be free" To that Brad replied, you can make them free by taking them out of the bag and eating them. Tucker then replied, "My tummy is not an ocean daddy."
So now Connor is sleeping, Tuckerr is at school and mommy needs to stop blogging and get to work on her to do list given to her by Brad. He loves to give me a list of things that he needs me to do during the day. I don't know why, but this drives me bonkers. I just want to do what I know needs to be done. For some reason, when he tells me to do things, I don't want to do them even though they would be easy to do. For instance, I was supposed to call about some reward points on a credit card we had last week. I put it off until he got mad at me. I think that is my way of rebelling because I don't like to be told what to do. That little personality trait got me into trouble in school, at home, and at work if I had a micro manager. I hate micro managers. I am the type of person who will get things done, but in my own time. Granted, I am good at meeting deadlines. I never missed a single one in my seven year career. If my manager was bugging me about a project I would put it off until the last minute. I would finish the project half assed but correct. If my manager left me alone, I would not procrastinate, and turn out a beautiful spreadsheet or presentation with ease. Strange I know, but that is how I roll. My husband just needs to figure that out.

No comments: