Friday, February 20, 2009

Valentine's day surprise, Forrest and Polly's party

Brad Boswell gave me the surprise of the century when he orchestrated a romantic night out for the two of us on Friday, Feb. 13th. I came home from work that night to find his parent's van parked in front of our house. I knew that his parent's were coming to watch Tucker's basketball game on Saturday, but I was under the deception that they were coming on Saturday morning. Therefore, when I saw the van, I just assumed that they had changed their minds and came to spend the night.
Following the normal hellos, and how are yous, I mentioned that we could all eat the Taco Soup that I had prepared on Wed night for dinner. Brad casually said, "You and I could go to dinner if you wanted to." I asked if he was sure and looked at his parents to make sure that they were okay to watch Tucker and Connor. Everything was a go, and I went upstairs to change shirts. I had been through a day from hell at the branch and was very tired, so I didn't feel like fixing my hair or dressing any nicer than I already was. I was wearing my glasses due to a cornea problem that I have been having and I must say, the glasses do not help me achieve a sexy look.
We got into the car and started toward Greystone, a nice area of Birmingham. Brad mentioned going to Wing's to eat and I was fine with that. I am not hard to please at all when it comes to eating out. As long as I do not have to cook it and clean it, I can eat anything, anywhere.

He turned into a newly developed shopping area that was on the way to Wings. He is a property accountant and is always talking about this new property being developed by this company, and so on so I didn't think anything about him saying that he just wanted to check it out. There are several nice little boutiques in this development and an Edgar's Bakery. There is also a very nice Italian restaurant that my friend Margaret Ann and her husband have eaten at before and raved about. Brad suddenly pulled into a parking spot and announced that he wanted to "check out" the bar inside this extremely nice restaurant, Bellini's. I said, "Ok, that sounds good. But I think it is expensive?" Questioning him to make sure that he knew what we were about to walk into. As we approached the door I saw the chalkboard sign read "Make your spring reservations now" and thought, oh well, we won't get in here tonight. We walked into the door and the Maitre De' asked "do you have a reservation" to which Brad immediately replied, "Yes, Boswell for 8:15" At that point I almost fell on the floor. That is when he announced that this was part of my Valentine's Day surprise, and that there was more to come!
What came next was a beautifully delicious dinner and a romantic atmosphere. He had planned the evening down to a tee. After dinner we went to see the Liam Neilson movie Taken, which was phenomenal. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.
Brad created the sweetest memory for me this Valentine's day and I will never forget his initiative, planning and sensitivity that night.

The next evening we attended an engagement party for Brad's friend Forrest and his fiance Polly. Brad's parents had driven our boys on over to Columbus after Tucker's basketball game, and when I arrived home after work we were able to pack and take a little cat nap before heading to Columbus for the party. It is a good thing that we got the nap because it took all the persuading and strength I had to get Brad Boswell to leave that party at 3:15 in the morning. He had a great time with his friends, but paid for it the next day, and unfortunately missed a trip to see his Memaw and Meme and Doyle. Tucker, Connor and I went to see the great grands by ourselves and had a great time. Memaw was disappointed that she didn't get to see Brad but I assured her that Brad and the boys would be over to go to the catfish opry with her on a Friday after Tucker's basketball season is over.

Tucker is turning into the sports enthusiast that Brad has always dreamed of. Tucker doesn't think of seasons in terms of Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. Instead he remembers them by what sport is played when. He announced after the last flag football game that he played that it was now time for basketball, and then when it got hot, he would be ready for soccer. We are probably going to get involved in the swim team at our YMCA. He loves swimming and takes to water like a fish. I am ready for summer too. I am excited that this will be the first summer that I will be able to be at home with the boys 4 days of the week! We will have loads of fun and I can't wait for the memories we will make!

1 comment:

Ali said...

I'm just so proud of Brad! Your story about Valentine's Day brought tears to my eyes. What a sweetheart. Sounds like ya'll got to enjoy a lot of time together last weekend, and I know you both enjoyed that very much!!!