Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Discovery of Red Wine

If you ask a friend of mine if they thought I was a drinker, they would probably tell you no. I will have a nice cold, imported beer on special occasions with friends, and that is about it. When I was working full time, I kept New Castle Brown Ale in my refridgerator and would drink one every now and then to ease my nerves as I made dinner. If anything, I am a lover of good imported brew, and drink it for the taste, not the affect. This week, I discovered red wine.

Red wine is the classy drink that all of our friend's wives drink at parties, while I am one of the only ones drinking my Bass Ale or New Castle. I had tried red wine in college, and all I got from the glasses that I drank was a really bad headache and purple teeth. I did not enjoy the wine, because it was warm and reminded me of drinking blood. (too many Lestat books I am sure) When I was a youngster, my aunt Joann, who lived in Miami, would slip me red wine, and other drinks under the table at dinner. I loved red wine then, along with Khalua, and some other dark brown liquior that only grown ups should have been drinking.

Why my Aunt Joann slipped me wine under the table is not a mystery, she gave it too me because I asked for it. My aunt spoiled me rotten. She had no children, was the CEO of an advertising company that had major clients all over Florida, and therefore had money to burn and thankfully me to burn it with. Anything I asked for at Aunt Joann's house, I got. So, if the adults were drinking red wine at a swanky restaurant in Miami, I was given some too, without my parents knowledge.
This part of my post needs a little bit more explanation. I grew up an only child, and my parents did not cater to my wishes, I was more of a tagalong of theirs. Part of their luggage, that just happened to talk a lot and look cute in dresses. My dad worked for an airline for 25 years and we could fly anywhere for free. I had an aunt and uncle in Miami, and an aunt and uncle in Detriot. My summers, and school vacations were spent flying between these two cities. I can tell you to this day that it takes approximately 30 min. to fly from Alabama to Memphis, and an 1 hour to fly from Memphis to Miami. It takes 30 minutes longer to fly from Memphis to Detriot. Traveling with my parents was always an adventure. I was able to see Niagra Falls, as well as a nude beach we accidently stumbled upon in Canada. I walked in snow that came up to my waist in Michigan and had lunch on the beach of Lake Ontario. In Miami we dined in the finest restaurants and once I rode the elevator with some famous mobsters. I kept looking at these men in their linen suits, while we were eating dinner, and happened to get on the elevator with them when we were leaving. My dad told me later that the men were rumored to be part of a well known crime family who had connections in Miami and New York.
I knew Hollywood beach in Ft. Lauderdale like the back of my hand and was a frequent visitor to a beach side bar with my parents and aunt and uncle. I can tell you how to get into Star Island without a card, and give you a tour of Viscauya, one of the most beautiful homes on Biscaine Bay. I have never been to our country's capital, or seen the grand canyon, but take me to Miami or Detriot and I will find a good place for dinner and can drive without a GPS.
So back to red wine. I used to like the red wine that aunt Joann gave me when I was little, because it was cold. Not frosty cold, but cool. I couldn't understand why all of the wine I was offered as an adult was so warm. One day, as I sat getting a manicure a guy came and sat at the table next to me. His family owned a vineyard in the south, and we started talking about wine. I mentioned the fact that I liked red wine at one time, but I preferred it to be cold. He understood immediately and said that red wine is supposed to be served at a lower temperature, and is best when it is cool. He said that most people did not know this about red wine.
I found a bottle of red wine a friend of ours had given us in our cabinet the other night. I have been reading a lot about 14th century England and they drank wine and ale all of the time back then, so when I saw the wine I thought, "I will try this stuff again and see what I think." After putting it in the fridge to chill, I had a small glass. It was wonderful! Not only did it taste just like it did when I was 8 years old, but it helped me sleep that night. So, I will partake of the red wine for it's health benefits from now on, in small doses, at night, but not every night.

No comments: